The delicious potato dumplings now in an easy casserole form.
The Good: Don't worry about counting how many Pierogies you're allowed to have, just 1 can be as much as you'd like! This recipe is delicious, easy to make and freezes well.
The Bad: Some of the measurements are ambiguous. 5 potatoes could be any amount of potato! I would suggest using large ones.
The Ugly: This recipe is not intended for those who are lactose intolerant.
Suggestions before starting:
When we made this dish we had too many noodles. Because it is a casserole feel free to add or subtract any ingredient that doesn't seem like the proper amount to you.
The first time we made this recipe we split it up into 3 8x8 pans. We had to add at least 3 potatoes to make it fit properly.
If it seems like you are making mashed potatoes... you are! Feel free to make them how you like them best.
Pierogi Casserole from All Recipes
Recipe Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
Recipe Yields 6-8 Servings
Preheat Oven to 375
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with water to cover over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, drain, then combine with the milk and 6 tablespoons of butter, mash and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the bacon, onion and garlic in the butter for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the bacon is fully cooked.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions and cool under running water.
- Place 1/2 of the mashed potatoes into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top this with 1/3 of the cheese, followed by a layer of lasagna noodles. Repeat this with the remaining potatoes, another 1/3 of the cheese and a layer of noodles. Then arrange the bacon, onion and garlic over the noodles, then another layer of noodles, and finally top all with the remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with sour cream and chopped fresh chives.