Simple, delicious and great for a stormy day!
The Good: Absolutely delicious! This winner of our Soup Contest is completely deserving of the award.
The Bad: Crab can be a bit expensive!
The Ugly: This recipe is not as good reheated... the crab gets chewy.
Suggestions before starting:
We used precooked snow crab legs; we just had to de-shell them. King crab legs are supposed to be "better" but they cost $14 a lb here!
Don't miss the part where it says to saute the shrimp separately for 1-2 minutes.
When cooking with milks always be careful to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom. You can use a plastic or rubber spatula or spoonula to protect your pan from scratches.
If you are sick... find someone to cook for you :)
Most importantly: Follow Will Cook for Smiles for more great recipes :)
Recipe Total Time: 20-30 minutes
Recipe Yields 4-6 Servings
Heat Stove to Medium
- 3 tbs butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tbs flour
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (or 1/4 cup dry sherry)
- 1 to 1.5 lbs crab meat
- 1 cup of small shrimp (optional)
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- salt/pepper to the taste
- Melt the butter in the pot at medium heat.
- Saute onions until transparent.
- Add the flour, stir well.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce (or the sherry). Thin with some milk if needed.
- Add the crab meat and the shrimp. (Saute the shrimp separately for about a minute or two).
- Pour in the milk and heavy cream slowly while whisking.
- Bring to a low boil and turn back down to medium (be careful not to boil over).
- Cook on medium for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.