Sunday, February 13, 2011

Peanut Butter Puppy Chow - Family Favorite

A dish you won't be willing to share with your dog!

As long as I can remember my mother has made this wicked recipe and allowed my sisters and I to help her in the kitchen.  This peanut butter treat is absolutely delicious and easy for the little ones to help with.


The Good:  This recipe is sinfully easy, cheap and everyone loves it!
The Bad:  This recipe can get messy but that's 1/2 the fun.
The Ugly: This recipe is not advised for people with peanut allergies.

Suggestions before starting:
The original recipe suggests using a grocery bag; however, with my severe case of germaphobia I would never consider it.  I use a 2 large Ziploc bags per recipe and split it up.  Once the recipe is finished I put it in a fresh bag or dish for appeal.
If you can't find 12 oz bags of peanut butter chips, don't fret! The closest you can come to 12 oz will be perfect.  This recipe does not need to be exact on any of the measurements.
I like to use a softer spatula/spoonula to mix the chex to keep from breaking too many.
The recipe has never specified an amount of powdered sugar... I've never used a whole bag.

The moment we've all been waiting for: The Recipe!

Ingredients:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1- 12 oz bag of peanut butter chips
  • 1 small jar of your favorite peanut butter
  • 1 box rice chex
  • powdered sugar
Directions:
Place chex in a large bowl and set nearby.
Melt in a sauce pan: butter, peanut butter chips and peanut butter.
Once the above ingredients are melted pour over chex mix and gently stir.  When all of the chex are covered with the mixture, put powdered sugar in grocery bag. Spoon in chex, close bag and shake like crazy until all of the chex are coated.  Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

No comments: